Be careful what you feed your pet

Posted by Abbie Lutz on 16th Nov 2018

It’s holiday season again! Family gatherings and food are large parts of the upcoming celebrations. I find “Do Not Eat” lists for pets are a good reminder to make sure my pets don’t find anything that can potentially make a holiday devastating with a trip to the emergency vet. Make sure your furry family member doesn’t get his or her paws on the following items; listed in order from least to most toxic. Yes, they are toxic to pets and can potentially be lethal. Everyone deserves a safe and happy holiday, including the four-legged family members. For more information, or for help if your pet ingests a toxic food, visit the Pet Poison Helpline online here: https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/seasons/winter-holiday-pet-poison-tips/ or call their 24/7 animal poison control center: (855) 764-7661

10) Milk

Surprisingly, milk is bad for cats. It is generally not life-threatening, but will cause discomfort and indigestion. Dairy products are overly fatty and cats sometimes have trouble tolerating it.

9) Onions and garlic

These vegetables contain thiosuphate. It damages red blood cells and can cause anemia in both cats and dogs.

8) Bones from meat

It seems natural to give a dog a bone, but your canine can choke on it or the bone could splinter and cause obstructions or lacerations; and cooked bones are much more dangerous than raw ones. It is better to buy ones specifically made for dogs. Check out our friends at Bully Bites, LLC for a water buffalo horn for your dog to chew on!

7) Coffee, tea, soft drinks and other sources of caffeine

Caffeine is terrible for pets. Coffee, tea and soft drinks all contain caffeine and can lead to diarrhea, rapid heartbeat and muscle tremors.

6) Alcohol

Alcohol can poison your pets. Alcohol is toxic to humans, and remember, pets are a lot smaller than humans so very small quantities can be toxic.

5) Macadamia Nuts

Macadamia nuts are usually found in containers of mixed nuts that are placed around the house for guests to snack on. As few as 6 macadamia nuts can be enough to initiate a reaction, which includes vomiting, tremors, and weakness. If left unchecked, they can cause paralysis of the hindquarters and hyperthermia. So be sure to place nuts somewhere your pet cannot reach them.

4) Chocolate

Most people know chocolate is toxic to pets. It can cause liver failure because animals cannot process it like humans can. Dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate, and it’s worse in larger quantities. Keep all of your sweets away from prying paws and noses to be on the safe side.

3) Avocados

Avocados contain persin, which is toxic to most animals. It causes vomiting, difficulty in breathing, inflammation of glands and accumulation of fluid around the heart.

2) Grapes and raisins

Grapes and raisins will kill dogs. Keep ALL foods containing raisins or grapes (like fruitcake) away from your pets. Vets are unsure as to what, specifically, makes these fruits so lethal to animals, but they do cause kidney failure rapidly. If your pet ingests them, seek veterinary help immediately.

1) Sugar-Free candy and gum containing xylitol

Many sugar-free candies and gum contain xylitol, a sweetener which is lethal to pets. It causes liver failure extremely fast. If your pet has ingested xylitol, he or she needs immediate veterinary attention.

Please keep all toxic foods away from your pets this holiday season, so everyone can have happy and safe holidays.

#pawpawsusa

Follow us @pawpawsusa and tag yourself to be featured.